The thyroid clinic is a twice weekly sub-specialty clinic that serves patients with thyroid disorders including Thyroid tumours. This clinic was started more than a decade ago.
Thyroid diseases are amongst the most common of all diseases of the endocrine system. Thyroid gland located in the neck produces thyroxine which regulates the metabolism of the body. Low production of thyroxine (hypothyroidism) can cause weight gain, dry skin, irregular periods, low pulse, infertility, fatigue and high cholesterol levels. Increased production of thyroid hormones due to an overactive thyroid gland can produce weight loss, sweating, palpitations, anxiety and prominent eyes.
Common thyroid problems treated are:
- Hypothyroidism: autoimmunity is the most common cause. Other causes include iodine deficiency, surgery and radiation.
- Hyperthyroidism: most commonly due to Graves’ disease which is autoimmune in origin. Other causes include toxic nodular goiter and autonomous thyroid nodule
- Thyroid nodules: it can be benign nodules or malignant nodules like papillary cancers
- Thyroiditis: this can be painful subacute thyroiditis or Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
- Thyroid diseases in pregnancy
Outpatient Clinic : MON & THU
12:30pm to 4:30pm